Monday, June 14, 2010

Little Bee



Book Bag Rating: Read it.

This is a very readable story about two women who collide in tragedy and how they survive. Survival is at the very base of our humanity and yet some are better at it than others. The two women in this story are brave beyond comprehension.
It is reminiscent of the stories about blood diamonds but this story is about oil and what people will do to get this commodity.

A chance meeting on a beach sets in motion a string of events that cannot be predicted. The story is not pretty and there were several moments where I gasped out loud. Once my son actually asked me what was wrong. There are things in this book that are disgusting and the examples of cruelty are all too vivid. Yet it is inspiring.

I liked Little Bee and I rooted for the two women. I was surprised by the ending. I was sad yet oddly uplifted. I don't know that I would be able to do was Sarah and Little Bee did.

This book is the polar opposite of the last one. This was not light and easy. It was dark and sad yet through the sadness you see a glimmer of hope. This hope is what keeps us getting out of bed each day.

I can't say I enjoyed the story but I did like this book. I was gripped by it and finished it in a day and a half. Which is almost unheard of for me these days. I stayed up way too late and read before work.

If you want to read something a little bit different this is a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment