Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Glass Castle


♥♥♥♥♥
It's hard to say that I loved such a horrible story but I loved this book. Jeannette Walls told her story with such honesty and feeling that as I read I found myself really cheering for her and family. I wanted things to work out for them. Jeannette is the daughter of an alcoholic father and mentally unstable mother. I can't imagine the struggles she lived through and I find it amazing that she was able to not only make it through but that she did it with out a regret or apology. This is not a memoir that blames or complains but rather a story of survival and triumph. Ms. Walls seems to have made her peace with her parents and I saw and understood how she loved them despite their faults. The way she shared her complicated relationship with her father touched me. I understood how she loved him and remained hopeful that he might actually turn it around until the end. Her relationship with her mother baffled me. Her mother who is clearly mentally ill was not a very likable character yet again the relationship is so complicated. I admire that Ms. Walls is able to now accept her for who she is with only small pangs of guilt at not being able to help. I get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment