Thursday, July 21, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


♥♥♥
It was raining when I downloaded this book onto my Kindle. I guess I was in the mood for something peculiar...This is a fantasy story despite the scary cover. I believe this will be book one in a ongoing series. I liked it but I'm in no rush to find book two. It is the story of a lonely teenager, Jacob, who is searching for answers to what is real in his life and what is fantasy. Jacob was very close to his grandfather who told wild stories about strange friends that he had in his youth and about fighting the monsters during WWII. When Jacob was a child he believed every word about a levitating girl, an invisible boy and other odd characters, but as he grew up he began to think his grandfathers stories were just that, stories. Scattered throughout the book are pictures of the peculiar friends. When his grandfather dies under questionable circumstances and Jacob finds a mysterious letter, a quest begins to find answers. Maybe his grandfather was telling the truth. Jacob always assumed that the monsters his grandfather fought were the Nazis but maybe there are other monsters and maybe there was some truth to his stories. The book kept me turning pages as the secrets unfolded but I have to say I was a little let down by the ending. Although as my sister (who loved this book) pointed out the author was setting the stage for the next installment. If you like fantasy quest type stories you will like this book. I would however put it with young adult fiction rather than adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment