Monday, July 25, 2011

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


♥♥♥♥♥
This is one of those books that many read during high school but I didn't and it's always been on my list of "when I have time" books. I'm so glad I made time. I loved this book and I found myself stealing away minutes when ever I could to read a few pages.

The story opens when Francie Nolan is 11 years old in 1912. The book follows her into young adulthood. Things are never easy for the Nolans and yet they survive. Her father is an alcoholic and yet he was likable. He and Francie had a special relationship that benefited her. Katie, her mother was strong and a survivor. She always did what was needed and she never complained. At times I disliked Katie especially in her favoritism of Francie's brother Neeley. I hated that she didn't go to Francie's graduation because she decided to go only to Neeley's.

Francie's speech toward the end of the book to her mother said everything I was thinking. Yet I understood when she apologized because she recognized her mother's flaws.

This was one of those books that left me sad when I was finished because I will miss the Nolans and peeking into their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment